Ms President US is a non-partisan, non-profit, community-based initiative, dedicated to inspiring and preparing girls to aim for the highest civic leadership positions and know they can achieve them.
- To teach girls the importance of female involvement in public service, the responsibility it entails, and the opportunity it provides.
- To impart exemplary values in future leaders – values that unite, uplift and inspire regardless of gender, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or disability.
Enrolled Girls will ….
- Explore their own potential to lead, enhance skills, & expand knowledge of what it takes to be a leader.
- Learn about local, state, and federal leadership opportunities.
- Hear from local and state leaders.
- Give (or contribute to) a campaign speech, complemented by their choice of creative expression.
- Open to all girls in Ridgefield in 4th through 8th grade. See note below for invitation to girls who live outside of Ridgefield.
- Sessions are held once a month, on a Friday from 4:30–6pm, at Ridgefield Library or Keeler Tavern Museum.
- Sessions will be led by community and state leaders and will include fun, interactive activities. Each session will include a mini lesson plan and a takeaway message.
- In the spring 2018, girls will begin to prepare their campaign for “Ms. President US of Ridgefield” using their choice of media or art, and addressing at least 1 issue (school start time, anti-bullying, etc.).
- In the final session on May 6, 2018 at The Ridgefield Playhouse, girls will give their campaign speech and show their display/presentation. All program participants will then vote for the winner.
- The girl with the top score among all the ballots submitted will be elected Ms President US of Ridgefield.
- The girl who wins will “hold office” for 1 year until the next girl is elected. During her “administration” she will be invited to attend, participate and/or speak at Ridgefield community events.
- Girl Scouts badge/credit eligible.
- Civic Leadership / Public Service
- Local, State, and Federal Government
- Women’s History and Leadership
- Public Speaking, Diplomacy & Listening Skills
- Communications & Media
- Meet & Greet Local Leaders
- State Capitol Visit